Breaking Down The Cardinals 2018 Schedule

The Arizona Cardinals 2018 schedule is not even 24 hours old yet. But everyone loves early projections, so let’s break it down game by game.

Disclosure: This is assuming everyone is “healthy”. I’d rather not predict injuries, I don’t need that bad luck in my life. #Thanks

Let’s start with a history lesson. Here is the Cardinals success rate while visiting 4 of their 2018 opponents, courtesy of Kent Somers.

Week 1 (Home): Washington Redskins, September 9th, 2018, 1:25PM

This is going to be a brawl from the start. Both teams are sporting new QB’s and will have to adjust their offenses accordingly. Both defenses are stout, but I will give Arizona the edge, assuming we have a solid rookie Cornerback to shut down #2 receivers. That tipping point will lead to the Cardinals winning their home opener.

Verdict: Win ARI 17 – WAS 14

Week 2 (Away): Los Angeles Rams, September 16th, 2018, 1:05PM

The Rams high powered offense will, unfortunately, serve our redbirds a piece of humble pie. Their defensive line will get to Sam Bradford early and often, making drives unsustainable. This will be a good measuring stick of what this Wilks team is made of.

Verdict: Loss LAR 31 – ARI 17

Week 3 (Home): Chicago Bears, September 23rd, 2018, 1:25PM

This game will be headlined by the Cardinal defense shutting down a young Bears offense and David Johnson running all over Chicago’s front seven. Add a field goal in the windy city for good measure.

Verdict: Win ARI 24 – CHI 13

Week 4 (Home): Seattle Seahawks, September 30th, 2018, 1:05PM

I’m predicting Chandler Jones and Markus Golden will have a field day chasing down Russell Wilson in the Steve Wilks 4-3 defense. David Johnson will make Seattle pay for letting Michael Bennett leave as he runs for 100yards and 2 touchdowns.

Verdict: Win ARI 24 – SEA 10

Week 5 (Away): San Francisco 49ers, October 7th, 2018, 1:25PM

Are we going to sweep the San Francisco 49ers? No, they have pieces this year that will make them competitive. Jimmy G is going to be a very efficient QB at home and newly acquired Richard Sherman will somehow affect the game in the 49ers favor. It will be a classic divisional game, hard fought and close.

Verdict: Loss SF 24 – ARI 21

Week 6 (Away): Minnesota Vikings, October 14th, 2018, 10:00AM

I think this game will be the Arizona Cardinals biggest loss. First, we have our earliest game of the year, on the road nonetheless. Second, we are facing an offense that can really put up points and a defense that could really shut us down in the run game.

Verdict: Loss MIN 33 – ARI 21

Week 7 (Home): Denver Broncos, October 18th, 2018, 5:20PM* (TNF)

A game of defenses with shaky offenses. I give the Cardinals the edge on offense thanks to David Johnson and some reciever named Fitzgerald. Cardinals squeeze out a close one on “primetime”.

Verdict: Win ARI 21 – DEN 17

Week 8 (Home): San Francisco 49ers, October 28th, 2018 1:25PM

The Cardinals get their revenge after studying their mistakes a few weeks prior. David Johnson will have 3 touchdowns and the Cardinals close the game in the 4th Quarter. The Red Sea will have their hand in this much needed divisional win.

Verdict: Win ARI 27 – SF 21

Week 9: BYE Halelujiah, the Arizona Cardinals are somehow 5-3 at the bye. They will need it as the schedule gets even tougher.

Week 10 (Away): Kansas City Chiefs, November 11th, 2018, 11:00AM

An early game in a hostile environment. Luckily the Chiefs offense is lacking in the QB department this year. This will have the Cardinals defense licking their chops. A couple turnovers will lead to great field position for David Johnson.

Verdict: Win KC 7 – ARI 21

Week 11 (Home): Oakland Raiders, December 23rd, 2018, 2:05PM

I really can’t see the Raiders having the same year they did in 2017. They have too many pieces and a revitalized franchise with the impending move and Gruden at the helm. The Cardinals will succumb to the “Spider 2 Y Banana” and David Johnson will not break out against Khalil Mack and the Raiders defense.

Verdict: Loss OAK 27 – ARI 17

Week 12 (Away): Los Angeles Chargers, November 25th, 2018, 2:05PM

I don’t think that the Chargers are going to be good this year. But then again, they have pieces to contend. I am banking on our defense to keep this game close and ultimately we have the advantage in the running game. Cardinals sneak out with the victory.

Verdict: Win LAC 14 – ARI 20

Week 13 (Away): Green Bay Packers, December 2nd, 2018, 11:00AM

The Arizona Cardinals are historically bad in cold weather games. This game will be no exception seeing as the Cardinals haven’t won in Green Bay since 1949. Oh yeah, and it’s an 11 o’clock start. YIKES. I sense a blowout here.

Verdict: Loss GB 28 – ARI 7

Week 14 (Home): Detroit Lions, December 9th, 2018, 2:25PM

This game is a tricky one. The Lions offense has the potential to be really good. However, their defense isn’t strong. The Cardinals defense will certainly have their hands full and David Johnson will keep the offense in the game. I’ll say the Cardinals win with a field goal at the end.

Verdict: Win ARI 30 – DET 27

Week 15 (Away): Atlanta Falcons, December 16th, 2018, 11:00AM

An early game against a team we haven’t beat on the road since 1993. I have an uneasy feeling. Julio Jones always has success against our defense and I expect the same here. Atlanta will play fast and we won’t be able to keep up.

Verdict: Loss ATL 27 – ARI 17

Week 16 (Home): Los Angeles Rams, December 23rd, 2018, 2:05PM

I can’t envision a way where the Cardinals split the series with the Rams. I can’t. That defensive line is giving me nightmares. The Cardinals keep it close but fall behind in the 4th quarter. A year where the Cardinals sweep the Seahawks and are swept by the Rams? WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

Verdict: Loss ARI 17 – LAR 27

Week 17 (Away): Seattle Seahawks, December 30th, 2018

I don’t see Seattle’s offense as a threat this year. There’s blood in the water. The defense has been ravaged by the offseason, the end is near. I see Seattle finishing 3rd in the NFC West this year, a win for the Cardinals here can solidify that.

Verdict: Win SEA 10 – ARI 17

Overall Record: 9-7

Playoffs? Unlikely, but I would gladly take the criticism if I’m wrong. Shock The World 2.0